Saturday, July 30, 2016

For once in my life, I am struggling to state an opinion.

I want to write about the 2016 presidential election. I want to find the right words to talk about how I feel about the candidates and their messages.

I've never been a Hillary Clinton fan, although I think her husband's presidency was good for the country if not for the reputation of the man.

I despise Donald Trump and everything he stands for (or not, considering he doesn't seem to actually have any principles upon which he stands).

Above both feelings, I am sad that Bernie Sanders didn't make it to the nomination. He started too late and then faced the obstacles set up by the establishment Democrats that made it impossible for him to succeed.

But he came sooooo close.

I remember back in the mid-60s when the resounding message of Bobby Kennedy began to echo around the country and he mounted his campaign for president. Like so many liberal-minded people, I was enraptured. He embraced every ideal I hold dear. He offered the kind of world that fulfilled the promise of peace and universal compassion and caring.

When Bobby was murdered, it seemed a pall settled over the land. Not only people like me, but legions of others who were drawn to his message, mourned and, I believe, entered a phase of depression, cynicism and doubt from which we have never emerged.

Bernie revived that hope, that yearning for what could be if only the system we have watched becoming more and more fashioned against us were changed. Millions of young people, for whom the name Bobby Kennedy probably only evokes a page in their history books, were caught up in Bernie's message just like I was at their age (okay, I was a tad older). Without the filter of cognizance of the progression from Kennedy to Obama, the millenials knew only that Bernie spoke to them of the way it could be and they loved it.

Now I wonder if, regardless of Bernie's efforts to help defeat Donald Trump, those young people will feel the incredible letdown we did post-Bobby. Will they believe the system is indeed unbeatable, unchangeable?

The next four years, no matter who wins in November, will be crucial, I believe, to the survival of our nation. Hillary, if she surrounds herself with wise statespeople and if she includes Bernie in the planning, might be able to fashion a new optimism and the changes needed. Donald Trump, if he wins, will, in his own unpredictable and frightening manner, lead the country into the kind of darkness and ugliness in which he thrives.

So, without a lot of enthusiasm, but with the terrifying thought of the end of America as we know it, I will vote for Hillary. It really isn't that I see it as a choice between the lesser of two evils. It is a statement that I can't allow the evil that is Donald Trump to triumph.

1 comment:

Bev Haynes, Author said...

You told it to someone who cares.

I attempted to watch the Republican National Convention, but I could find nothing to hold my interest, nor that spoke to me. Fearmongering. Name calling. Childish antics. Reality TV I love, but I never found my way to watching The Apprentice. Now? If Trump is elected president, I fear we'll have his homely face filling our screens as he tells the American public, "YOU'RE FIRED!" as he sells out our country to the highest bidder.

After watching hours of the DNC I understand why I'm a registered Democrat, the party for the working people. Their 4 day party had an undercurrent to make the viewers feel a part of the whole. I'm not a crying person, but quite a few time, I felt tears flood my eyes.

I agree, Hillary Clinton probably did unethical things, but which of all our presidents through history did not? Only due to social media and technology do we learn (?) of the transgressions and suspect behavior of the candidates. But is it true? I'm not sure you can believe anything you hear from both sides.

Berney Sanders had me. I feel if he has a role in going forward in this election, it will help Hillary Clinton succeed. I can't with good conscience go with Trump. Thus I'll be casting a vote for Hillary Clinton.